Started on Warferen after a stroke. Diagnosed with leaky valve. Side effect of the medicine?

Started on Warferen after I had a stroke 4 Oct last year, was diagnosed leaky valve, valve replaced XXXXXXX 29. Since starting Warferen in Oct, I have been very short tempered and extremely impatient, also very angry, I am usually an easy going type, right now my wife hates me. Could the warferin be the cause.
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It is unlikely that your recent symptoms of increased anger and irritability are due to Warfarin. Warfarin is not known to have any significant psychological side effects.

It is more likely that the psychological / behavioural changes that you are experiencing are the rsult of the stroke itself. Anxiety and depressive symptoms (which can manifest as irritability, feeling on the edge, etc.) following stroke are well known and relatively common also.

Since these symptoms seem to be causing a lot of distress to you and your family members, I would suggest that you seek professional help from a psychiatrist. Low doses of anti-depressant / anti-anxiety medication can be very useful in controlling such symptoms. If you are not inclined to taking medication, then there are effective psychological therapies also which can be beneficial.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist