Started nose bleeding with monstrous blood clots. Should I be concerned?

Hi, I recently travelled to india, Tibet, and Nepal. I had a 2.5hr nose bleed with monstrous blood clots. I get these nose types of nose bleed usually in the winter. The last large nose bleed I had was a week ago. Today as I was bending down to pick up something from the floor a watery brown liquid poured from my left nostril. My inner left nostril feels tingly as if the watery substance had irritated it. I'm curious if these symptoms are something I should be concerned about and go to the doctor or if it's common and I should just forget about it? Thanks so much

Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I am concerned regarding the severity of your symptoms. Symptoms you have described are something which I think you should see your doctor to discuss.

My first concern is that you may have a dysfunction of your platelets or your platelet count may be below. This can cause issues with spontaneous bleeding and nosebleeds. The fact that you have a history of autoimmune disease also places you at higher risk for platelet dysfunction.

In addition your doctor should take a good look into your nose to see if there is anything such as a polyp which is exacerbating your symptoms.

I do not think you have anything that is life-threatening at this point but I do think you should have this investigated.

Your doctor might consider getting some laboratory tests done including a complete blood count as well as some markers of autoimmune process which might cause a lower platelet count.

Thank you once again for sending your question. If you have any additional concerns regarding this matter I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Dr. Robert