Started nasal drip going into throat and feel like mucus is present in throat. Getting panic attack. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
i started to get nasel drip that is going into my throat and keep feeling like there is mucas in my thorat and then i start getting panic attack i feel like i cant breath could you give me some advice as its taking over my life i wake
up at night and i cant stay in bed because i start getting this attack thank you XXXXXXX z
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Common problem, CT PNS pre post Otrivin, NE, RM

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Chronic nasal obstruction or stuffiness and a Post Nasal Drip (PND) often lead to panic attacks. Acid reflux also worsens the problem. Dryness in the throat due to mouth breathing causes the choking feeling. Do you snore?

2. The source of the PND is the nsoe and sinuses. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) pre and post decongestion with 0.1% Xylometazoline (Otrivin) nasal drops done and upload the images here.

3. A Nasal Endoscopy (NE) and a Rhinomanometry (RM), if available, may help. You may share the images, clinical notes and results here.

4. Request your physician to start a fifteen day trial with an anti-histamine, an anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray and steam inhalation. Anti-reflux medication may be added if symptoms are severe.

5. There may also be a nasal valve problem and issues with diabetes, hypertension.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.