Started menstruation, overweight. Eat healthy and run daily. Family history of short height. What else to do

I am a 14 year old female and I have never had a weight problem. I started maturing last year and have put on weight. I eat very healthily and I run every day but I can't seem to lose weight. I am 5'1 and now weigh 115- I'd like to weigh 105. I am even trying weight watchers for 1 1/2 weeks- but I haven't lost anything! My dad's side is very short so I may be at or near my full height.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 39 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

For this height and weight, your BMI is 21.7 = Normal range!
Why do you want to reduce?
     The first thing to do MUST be to see an internist (medical doctor).
     Have a physical examination and investigations (basically blood test) to rule out any cause that can be responsible - like thyroid, sugar and so on.
      If nothing is found - which is highly probable - then see a nutrition specialist (Dietician). Several sittings may be required to be well acquainted.

Weight is like bank account. The account grows when you withdraw less (Cut down unnecessary physical work) and you deposit more (eat more).
     You have to reduce the QUANTITY of your food and change the QUALITY too. It is not possible to explain or understand the nuances on a single occasion. To start with, reduce the amount to one third of what you are presently taking. Avoid all fats – they have double the energy of carbohydrates. You should see a good DIETICIAN - One generally needs SEVERAL sessions, to master concepts of calories, nutritional values, biological value, vitamins, minerals and so on.
     Exercise helps But you need to do really severe and prolonged exercise – several hours. Start half an hour a day and slowly step up every week. Its role is however is limited. For example, in walking 1 kilometre, one spends 1 Calorie per kilogram of his body weight! A cup of rice or an average bar of chocolate has approximately 200 calories. A treadmill may help. The ideal solution is to get yourself enrolled in a Gym and have a supervised program.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck