Started lying to people after taking mirtazepine. Is this a side effect of medication?

Dec 2014

I am on mirtazepine and have started lying to people. Something I have never done before. Could this be a side effect of the medication
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 19 minutes later

You have written that you are on mirtazepine and have started lying to people.

Mirtazepine is an antidepressant drug. It is a NASSA drug (Noradrenalin Serotonin Selective Antidepressant). It works by increasing the neither concentration of nor adrenalin serotonin in brain. Deficiency of Serotonin and nor adrenalin is thought to be responsible for symptoms of depression.

Commonly observed side effects with Mirtazepine in clinical practice are Increased sleep (some psychiatrists use this side effect in patients of insomnia in depression), increased appetite, weight gain, tiredness, dry mouth, lightheadedness etc.

-Now coming to your question
You have started lying to people. This is not a side effect of mirtazepine.

So what might be reason behind lying? One possibility is that in depression itself hostile behavior, lying etc may present as distressing symptoms. It may be part of compulsive lying seen in depression. Try to control this by own if possible because if not controlled it will only increase stress in you and consequently will worsen depression.
If the problem is very distressing then I will advise you to visit your Psychiatrist and consult regarding this problem.

Hope, I cleared your doubt. I will be happy to answer your more queries.

Dr.Seikhoo Bishnoi MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)