Started loosing strength in leg and noticed slight change in arm. What should I do?

Over the past few weeks I have been losing power and strength in my right leg. Main problem is in the upper leg muscles it getting to the point where I can barely put any weight on it, just moving about is becoming a problem. The pain is strange, but not severe, it is the weakness that is over powering, like nothing I have experienced before.
I am beginning to get a similar sensation in my left upper leg, that has just started today and I have just become aware of it in the same way as the other leg.
I also noticed a slight change in my right arm.
Any suggestions would be helpful, I am beginning to worry about what may lie ahead.
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 2 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry you're having problems, and I'm more than a little concerned about what's going on here. Weakness in multiple areas on both sides of your body is not typical of a stroke, and I agree that it probably isn't linked to your heart or lungs. This presentation is more characteristic of a diffuse neurodegenerative disorder, such as symptoms and the problems you're having in getting around, I suggest you see your doctor at your earliest possible opportunity.
I'll be available if you have additional questions, but you really do need to seek medical attention.
I hope things go well.