Started itchy burning type pain on skin after knee replacement. What is this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had a total knee replacement six weeks ago. I have had an itchy burning type of pain on my skin on the lower XXXXXXX since the surgery---mostly at night when I am trying to sleep. The knee itself doesn't hurt as much now. What is this?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

In knee replacement, the worn ends of the bones that make up the knee joint are replaced with metal and plastic implants.

This itchy burning type of pain over XXXXXXX since surgery might be an allergy or hypersensitivity to the metallic components of the implant.

Although it is rare, I advice you to consult your surgeon for examination and you may get sensitivity test under his or her guidance.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health....