Started hot flashes. Normal Pap and given hormone tablet. Started bleeding, noticed fibroids. Recommended D and C

My periods have always been very regular and then I started to have hot flashes when I was 35 (I am now 54 years old)...I have never had an abnormal pap and the doctor who did my tubiligation (at 35) prescribed me hormones to control the hot flashes. At the time I had not had a period for probably 2 years and then I started the hormones and I started to spot (lightly). About a year ago I started to have heavier bleeding. I since moved to XXXXXXX for my job and saw a new gyn. She increased my hormone (i was at 2.5 mg) and since I had been bleeding ordered a sonogram where they found very small fibroids. She recommends a dnc and then a biopsy. I was also diagnosed with gall stones (alot).

I don't know if this makes sense, but my period has been lasting 3 weeks out of 4 and for the past week I have stayed home and worked from home because of the amount of bleeding. I have had cramps (back pain) but I don't know if its because of this or because 8 weeks ago I have non-invasive back and neck surgery...

Is a dnc a normal procedure that would be done when fibroids are discovered? what is a TAH?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
D&C is nothing to do with fibroids

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

I have carefully analyzed your query, and I will try my level best in answering all your queries.

First of all bleeding at 54 years is not normal, your doctor has rightly said you need a D&C(dilatation and curettage). As you are having abnormal bleeding and history of taking hormone replacement medication, all these things point towards looking for any abnormality in your Endometrium(inner lining of uterus), in D&C we take endometrial biopsy to look for any ATYPICAL CHANGES, which are pre-malignant changes of uterus. Just to clarify, D&C is nothing to do with fibroids.

Is a dnc a normal procedure that would be done when fibroids are discovered? D&C is nothing to do with fibroids, its the endometrial lining of uterus which is sampled for Histopathology, to rule out pre-malignant & malignant changes.

I feel your back pain could be unrelated to uterine problem, small fibroids don't cause back pain.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile