Started head spinning, whooshing sounds in ear. On lipitor for high cholestrol. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
The last two days I started having head spinning episodes (3) and now I am hearing whooshing sounds in my ear.i am not sure if it is a virus or signs of something more serious. In general, my health is good, I work out almost daily, but I am on Lipitor for high cholesterol.
XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 49 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious illness.

Episodes of dizziness and whoosing sounds in ear (tinnitus) are suggestive of ear related problem, more precisely vestibular dysfunction. This is mostly due to a viral infection.

As of now, you can take betahistine tablets to prevent spinning episodes. These symptoms should resolve in a few days. However, if they persist, you could consult a doctor.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Started head spinning, whooshing sounds in ear. On lipitor for high cholestrol. Should I be concerned? 23 minutes later
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Thank you and best wishes!

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM