Started having severe wheezing and cough. Diagnosed as allergy. Looking for alternate diagnosis?

HI Doctor,

My mother has cultivated severe wheezing from past two years. She has consulted several doctors but still the problem persists. Doctors say it is an allergy. Cough has accumulated inside.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Your mother seems to be having post menopausal asthma.
The studies have found that post menopausal women should have some weight management.
In adults,asthma usually occurs due to increased insulin resistance resulting in inflamed airways and ultimately resulting in asthma.
Thin women going through menopause and having BMI less than 23 have less estrogen in them due to lack of body fat and this results in increased insulin resistance.
So basically you have to have a proper weight in females undergoing postmenopausal asthma.
Your doctor should consider a hormone replacement therapy along instructions to the patient to take care of her weight.
Ask your mother to decrease her insulin resistance by way of doing regular exercises.
I would advise you to consult a pulmonologist and a gynecologist simultaneously to take care of her asthma and hormone replacement therapy.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck