Started having hot flashes with headaches, nausea and leg cramps. How to get relief?

I have recently started having hot flashes that last about a half an hour with headaches and nausea...along with some leg cramping. I normally have severe clotting during my period and the last one was very light. I have taken 2 negative tests right after that period but still feel like I may be pregnant, however I had a chemical pregnancy in XXXXXXX and not sure if this may be leftover from that. My breasts are not tender. I have been under stress, but was not aware that hot flashes can come from that. I also have the urge to eat almost continually (trying to not do that) and many things that I normally like I am not even hungry for and some doesn't even taste the same.
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 49 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

I wanted to know your last menses date and if you had any unprotected intercourse in this cycle.

If your menses was not delayed one and if your pregnancy tests were negative then the possibility of pregnancy is not there.

Also It is NOT possible for the symptoms of pregnancy persisting because of the chemical pregnancy you had in XXXXXXX Besides if there was any left over, you will not have regular bleeding instead continuous spotting.

I keep two possibilities for your symptoms.

First is perimenopause or menopause transition, which explains your symptoms of hot flushes, fatigue, cramps in leg and light periods. It usually starts after age of 40 years and continues for 4 years or more.

If you have other symptoms like vaginal dryness, mood swings, irritability, difficult sleeping and urinary incontinence then it further supports the diagnosis of perimenopause. They are mainly diagnosed clinically.

The other possibility I keep is of a thyroid disorder particularly hyperthyroidism.

This is a condition when there is increased activity of thyroid gland producing symptoms like heat intolerance or hot flushes, increased appetite, fatigue, stress,tiredness, anxiety, decreased sleep with lighter periods.
They can be diagnosed by thyroid function tests.

I hope I have answered your query.

take care.