Started having forgetfulness. After CT scan put on Deplat, Eritel and Rivamer. Findings of scan?

Hi Doctor, My father is 68 years old. Two months back he started having forgetfulness in a very limited manner. He underwent a CT which revealed a "circumscribed age related changes with bilateral corona and lentiform multiple old lacunar infarcts. Left temporal ischemic changes. No bleed" and is put on Cap. Deplat-CV 75/10/75mg, Tab. Eritel 40mg and Tab Rivamer 1.5mg. Was okay for a few weeks and now started having more forgetfulness. Now, he is not able to remember his home, even me... Sitting in his home, he says he wants to go to his home. Now, we are unsure if we have to take him to a psychologist. He is restless. Are we on the right track of medicines, and should we need to counseling with a psychologist? please guide us. Thank You
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Progressive Dementia

Detailed Answer:

Your father is likely to be heading towards dementia. I would not label him but it is purely a clinical diagnosis made by Neurologist or NeuroPsychiatrist. However I could think of two possibilities now:
1) Alzheimer's dementia (AD)
2) Vascular dementia, infarcts and ischemic changes in the brain or common.

In such people intellectual and cognitive functions decline hence they would behave as you describe.
The therapy that's given to him now is appropriate and according to the standards. ie Deplat, Rivamer, Eritel. Ask your treating doctor if he wants to add Deplatt-A (with Aspirin) as well.

Your family requires counselling how to deal with AD. Structured, respectful, and friendly caregiving is best care. A lot depends on the family. How to react and how to care for various agitations and behaviours displayed by your father should be known to you.

Put him in a routine (time) for all self-care tasks such as bathing and dressing.
A structured daily routine for all activities such as meals, medication administration, recreation, exercise, and sleep. It should match to the other family members work and household chores else there is high resistance. You may want to use photos, pictures to teach him this routine.
Use short simple sentences when communicating.
There is a short term respite care facilities which may help him with change of place and care for your family as well. This is not going to be a simple job.

The truth is there is no simple medication yet to deal with demented people