Started gym. Is it possible to contract an STD from a piece of gym equipment if so, what are the odds?

Excellent
Question
I have a question for educational purposes. I have recently made the decision to get in the gym and begin working toward a better fitness for myself. My question is regarding sanitation and things that can be contracted from gym equipment. Is it possible to contract an STD from a piece of gym equipment...Herpes, warts, etc and if so, what are the odds? Any information you can provide on this topic for my education to be safe would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 34 minutes later
Hi XXXXX
You won't contract any diseases from using gym equipment , but sharing towels and gym clothes etc may place you at risk from contracting stds. Refrain from using common towels and gym clothes. Wash your hands thoroughly after using the equipment. Make sure you aren't in direct contact with infected persons. Most stds require sexual contact with infected persons to be transmitted. Herpes may be caused by sharing items with infected persons. So wash well after using common equipment.

Follow-up: Started gym. Is it possible to contract an STD from a piece of gym equipment if so, what are the odds? 3 minutes later
Thank you for your information. Is Staph infection a realistic concern for gym common equipment?

Also - can anything be contracted from sweat in case someone else's sweat is on equipment that I don't see and come in contact with?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 14 minutes later
Staph infection normally doesn't occur on equipment. It's common as a skin infection. I don't think you need to worry about that. Sweat doesn't usually cause a problem except in herpes.

Follow-up: Started gym. Is it possible to contract an STD from a piece of gym equipment if so, what are the odds? 2 minutes later
Last follow up and then I will close and review - so herpes can be carried in sweat?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 minutes later
Not always. Only if the infected person has touched the infected regions and transferred the shedding virus via sweat on some equipment. Herpes is most contagious when it's shedding the virus. If the infected were touched the virus may be transferred along with sweat.