Started going to gym to reduce fat and build muscles. Need suggestions regarding exercise, food and supplementation

Dietitian & Nutritionist

I am 25 year old and have body fat of about 25 %. My weight is 75 kgs and height 178 cms. I have started gymming some 25 days ago and my objective is to reduce fat as well as build muscles. I am working out with weights for the whole week except Mondays. I am working out every part of my body. I also do 5 kms cycling 4 days a week.

I need your suggestions regarding exercise, food and supplementation.

Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Weight
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 35 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

Your BMI, Body Mass Index is 23.0kg/m2. This is well within the normal range. It indicates that your body’s current weight is normal for your height. Since you have started going to gym, it becomes important that you watch your food intake carefully. Any alteration in the nutritional composition of your diet would make it difficult for your body to respond to the increased nutritional needs.
With the increased physical activity you would need some additional calories to let the dietary protein work for the muscle building. This is called as the protein sparing action, of the carbohydrates. Therefore, cutting down the carbohydrates totally or reducing it considerably would seize protein do its intended function of muscle building. Make sure that you include enough carbohydrates in your diet. Choose from the foods XXXXXXX in insoluble fibers like whole grains, green leafy vegetables, and whole wheat pasta. Include the protein XXXXXXX foods for muscle building. Foods like egg white, lean portions meat, dried fruits and nuts, legumes like rajmah, channa, soybean and its products like tofu etc. are very good sources of protein. Make sure that you include plenty of low fat dairy products as well. These would not only provide protein but are good sources of calcium. Include sprouts, natural peanut butter, sugar free yogurt, boiled channa and soy chaat and soaked dry fruits in the daily diet.

Make sure that your body is sufficiently hydrated to make for the losses through sweat and perspiration while exercising.
Include a lot of raw fruits and vegetables in your daily diet, things like XXXXXXX berries of all kinds, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, Peas, tomato, cucumber, carrot and green tea are very effective in controlling the increase in body’s fat.
Healthy fats are also equally important, as we need them for various functions and also some of the fat soluble nutrients need fat for their proper function. Include the good fat sources like, almonds, walnuts, olive and natural peanut butter for the healthy fat supply. Deep fried foods and munching in-between the meals would add extra calories to the diet. Make sure that you eat small and frequent meals.

Be persistent with the diet to help your activity regime to be successful.

Hope this helps you.
Follow-up: Started going to gym to reduce fat and build muscles. Need suggestions regarding exercise, food and supplementation 34 hours later
Thanks for the advise XXXXXXX .. :)

Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 3 days later

You are welcome.