Started giving nan pro. Having yellow and dark stool. Is this normal?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
hi doc, my son is 3 and a half month old and we were giving him enfamil and recently changed to Nan Pro,his stools are yellow and dark XXXXXXX in color and goes for the 2 times everyday is he normal?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 21 minutes later
The frequency and consistency of your baby's stools seem to be normal .
Some colour change in the stools and in frequency is expected after switching to a newer brand of formula . So please do not worry .
It should settle in a couple of weeks as the baby's gut gets used to the new formula .
However you should watch your baby for symptoms like irritability , bloating , weight loss , fever, decreased urination, blood in stools etc which are markers of more serious problems like gastrointestinal infection or lactose intolerance or milk allergy etc.
Also another way to get a confirmed assurance is to get your baby's stool routine test done and consult your doctor . If the report is normal then you neednot worry at all.
As of now I would suggest it can be a normal phenomena most probably due to switching formula and you can wait and watch for a week or two.
If the colour persists or frequency increases do consult your doctor .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Started giving nan pro. Having yellow and dark stool. Is this normal? 4 minutes later
my baby's weight is 5.5kgs now and his birth weight is 3.1 kgs,is it normal or he has to be more at this time pls let me know

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Usually baby's birth weight doubles at 5 months of age .
So considering the present weight your baby is growing well and you need not worry at all.
However every month you should get your baby weighed and plot the weight on a growth chart ( available with your pediatrician or even on Internet ) . This will help in keeping track of your child's growth in future too .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Started giving nan pro. Having yellow and dark stool. Is this normal? 3 minutes later
my baby's bcg injection which was at birth XXXXXXX formed a lump do i have to put any medicine on it to heal, it has no puss nor it is painful but it formed a lump

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
It is normal for Bcg injection site to have an ulcer or bump and further visible scarring.
This means that the injection is appropriately given and stimulated the immune system to cause a local reaction which is somewhat an indicator of successful vaccination.
So please do not worry and do not apply any medication on that site .
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your baby a healthy future.