Started getting tired and weak. Tested negative for strep and mono. Found elevated WBC level

Question
My 12 yr old daughter has been tired and weak for 10 days strep mono both neg. Now her wbc is 0000 with an increase in pmn the catch is she got sick the day after we got home from puerto rico
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Let me tell you that there are so many causes of these types of illness. WBC can be elevated in so many conditions too. She needs a clinical interview which will clarify the associated symptoms (if she has any throat pain, swelling in the neck, any skin rash, diarrhea, chest pain, cough, burning sensation during urination and so on). A physical examination will further help narrow down the possibility. Please understand that an appropriate treatment can be advised after a proper diagnosis in these types of illness and mainly in children.

I urge you to get a medical evaluation without delay.

Hope this clarifies
Please get back to me in case you have any other concern

Follow-up: Started getting tired and weak. Tested negative for strep and mono. Found elevated WBC level 3 minutes later
We have brought her in twice she has no symptoms everything is negative other than weak tired tthan today her wbc elevated they just keep saying give it a few more days its been 11

Thanks for the feed back

I understand your problem

If everything is normal, she might be having a viral infection and it will improve with time, may be after about 7 days. If you are concerned and feel that she is not fine, I urge you to get her re-examined by a pediatrician so that things will be clear.

Best wishes