Started getting spinning sensation and feeling dizziness. What is causing this and cure?

I am a 58 year old man and this morning woke up to find if I lay on my left side the room started spinning and I had dizziness. Eventually I got up but every time I stretched to my left I had dizziness. I have never experienced this before
Meds are so oft, lithium, epilum, seroquel, ikorel, imdurr caduet, perindropil, cartia

Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 49 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms it appears that you may be experiencing a positional vertigo -that is spinning sensation or dizziness on one particular position (in your case, stretching or tilting to the left). The possible causes are:
1) Inner ear problem - which are in fact, the most common cause, resulting in a condition called BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo).
2) Side effect of medication - notably Lithium is known to cause such kind of problems. Kidney diseases / CKD can frequently cause an impairment in the excretion of Lithium, which in turn, can result in toxic doses in the body.
3) A postural drop in BP - Postural hypotension - you are on multiple anti-hypertensive medication and so these could sometimes cause an abnormal drop in BP.
4) Neurological cause - related to impaired blood flow to certain areas of the brain (you have mentioned that you have suffered a TIA in 2004 and also have a risk factor of heart disease).

So, I would advise you to have a a thorough physical examination (and a few investigations, as per necessity), in order to ascertain the cause of your symproms. Further teatment should be targetted according to the likely cause.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar