Started getting skin rashes on body parts. Family history of eczema. Should I be worried?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have quit alcohol cold turky 45 days ago. On the second or first week I started to get a skin rash it was on my forehead in the beginning but not much just a little, then after a week it went to my chest and vanished within a week or so. Then it appeared on my liver side and disappeared in a week and now on the opposite side of the liver but and it still there. It might vanish soon. I'm just worried is this a normal process of the liver detoxifying ? Should i be worried. I don't have any other symptoms of liver disease. I eat healthy, drink lots of water, and take multi vitamins. I will also start taking milk thistle tomorrow (two pills a day 200mg each).

I forgot to mention that I have a 'forgot what it's called' but it's some kind of Eczema a genetic one from my mother side. I might get skin rash or skin irritation by just the change of the environment or other factors such us some kinds of food, or grass.

I didn't have this kind of Eczema when I was born but it appeared when I was 16 years old and it vanished when I went to the states at the age 19.

Is this normal, should I be worried or should I give it sometime for the body to fully detoxify. I also know that It's a bad idea to quit cold turky but this is the only way I saw. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 42 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

What I gather from your information is that there is some form of skin rash which is bothering you

If it is vanishing all by itself and coming at other places I am of the opinion that it should not be a concern

If there is itching or discharge or it is worsening you may go for a dermatologist opinion

As this does not appear to be a systemic disorder

Under all circumstances you may go for a Antihistaminic tablet and see if it responds [If it does it is allergic to some allergen]

It will help relieve symptoms also

Anyway I would suggest you go for A liver function panel and have the same as a baseline to compare if this does not respond

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Started getting skin rashes on body parts. Family history of eczema. Should I be worried? 35 minutes later
Hello Dr. Ajit,

Thank you very much for the fast reply. Anti-histamines actually works perfectly agains this allergy. It totally vanishes after 15 minutes of taking a 5mg only. I have sent the same message to a dermatologist to see what he recommends or says. There is a very light itching where the rash is but nothing to categorize as bothering.

Thank you again!

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later
If the antihistaminic is working I am confident it won't be systemic
Yet on a safer side have a Liver function panel done
Am always there for followup
Do get back when the dermatologist opines
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Started getting skin rashes on body parts. Family history of eczema. Should I be worried? 9 minutes later
He says its urticaria and doesn't have anything related to liver failure due to the pattern of the rashes ( appearing and disappearing else were ). He suspects its a uriticaria (hives?). thank you dr.!
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 minutes later
Nothing to worry
Reassure yourself
Wishing you a speedy recovery