Started getting pain in leg while going up and down the staircase or running. Looking for cure

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Sir/Madam, I am 36 years old. After very long gap, i went for playing cricket 15 days back. While running or bowling a small twist might have happened in my left knee but i dont remember exactly. Since that day i am getting pain in my left knee especially while going up and down the stairecase, while running, while sitting down the ground and getting up back. But while walking on plain space there will be no pain. Almost 15 days over, still same condition. Please help me.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

You might having stretched or torn ligament or hamstring pull while running or bowling.

Due to this, your knee becomes unstable and painful during running or walking on uneven surface.

If your knee locks in position when you are moving, it can be due to damaged cartilage.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination of knee. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance to determine extent of damage and further treatment.

You can also upload the X-rays/MRI here so that we can discuss this here. You can use 'Upload your reports' section.

Meanwhile you can take painkiller like Ibuprofen, which may help to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health....