Started getting pain at the bottom of feet in the morning. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hello doctor good evening,
I am 49 yr old male last 15 days my feet aches in the morning when I get up. ( pain at the bottom of feet ) pain remains for 5 to 10 minits. i dont have any other problem no suger no blood pressure etc my height is 5 feet 10 inches and my weight is on higher side i.e.97 kg. now from last 4 days pain is there almost whole day. if I sit and get up pain starts pl suggest me what should I do.
XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

This could most probably be plantar fasciitis.

It hurts the most with the first few steps because the plantar fascia is tight and has not stretched out yet, and throughout the day it loosens up. The best thing you can do is when you wake up in the morning, before getting out of bed and taking a step, give yourself a little foot rub.

There are many things you can try to help your feet get better:

Give your feet a rest. Cut back on activities that make your feet hurt. Try not to walk or run on hard surfaces.

Use shoes with good arch support and a cushioned sole.

To reduce pain and swelling, try putting ice on your heel. Or take an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (Motrin).

Do toe stretches, calf stretches and towel stretches several times a day, especially when you first get up in the morning.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Started getting pain at the bottom of feet in the morning. What should I do? 35 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX
Thanks for your prompt reply. Please tell me is this related to age i.e. now my age is 49. Sir, I am little bit worried because I like walking little jogging etc. I was not having this trouble before. If I reduce my weight by 10 to 15 kg will it be ok ? Please suggest me how can I control or stop this problem. This trouble should not increase day by day. Waiting for your reply.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back to us/

Planter fasciitis can be related to natural process of aging.

It also more likely to happen if:

Your feet roll inward too much when you walk (excessive pronation ).
You have high arches or flat feet.
You walk, stand, or run for long periods of time, especially on hard surfaces.
You are overweight.
You wear shoes that don't fit well or are worn out.
You have tight Achilles tendons or calf muscles.

It is nice to hear that you are trying to reduce your weight.

You have to try all those things which I have mentioned in my previous answer.

In addition if you have high arch/ flat feet or tight achilles or calf muscle, get checked by an orthopaedician.

Regards.