Started getting pain at the bottom center of the rib cage. What could be causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
50 yo female, smoker, possibly an alcoholic (relevance unknown). 8 days ago a pain started in my back that I do not believe is muscular in nature. The pain is at the bottom center of my left ribcage. Best described as a saw through a 2X4 with every breath. Eased with heat, but not relieved. I do have a Doctor appt for Wednesday, but I would like to know what is even located there.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
The pain at the bottom center of the rib cage on the left side could be due to a renal infection or a stone if the pain does not seem to be muscular in nature. This can be ruled out after getting an ultrasound scan done.
If the pain is aggravated with XXXXXXX breathing or coughing then a rib injury or a muscular sprain is likely.
The other causes that need to be ruled out include lung infections like pleuritis. Stopping smoking might help in reducing the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.