Started getting pain around breast bone and in arm. Took morphine. Any complication?

General Surgeon
Teatime tonight i was sitting in a bucket type easy chair i went to get up and attempted to push myself up with my arms,i soon aborted that idea the most excrushiating pain shot through my breastbone it was like something crossing over in my chest,i have taken a morphine tablet which has eased the pain a little, so any suggestions as what i have done i am very pained if i move my arms and pain around my breast bone if i move my upper body it feels as though i am in a vice.--look forward to your reply ,the sooner the better ! thank you
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

With such symptoms you should have checked several things. Rib fracture, sternum fracture or pneumothorax is possible. That is why ribs X-ray, sternum X-ray and thorax X-ray should be performed.
Chest pain should always be checked with heart condition. Heart ECG should be performed (even if it sounds impossible).
Morphine is a medicine which not only helps with pain but also helps with breathing. It is used when heart attack or shortness of breath is present. That is why you could find it very helpful. However it also indicates that pneumothorax and heart problem should be ruled out.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.