Started getting irritation and feel like scratching after stopping montek lc. What should I do?

Allergist and Immunologist
I have been consuming MonteK LC tab for the last 8 months as advised by my ENT doctor.Recently on consultation with another doctor, I was advised to discontinue it.But after two days of discontinue, my whole body is getting irritation and i feel like scratching without stopping.What should I do? Please help me.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 41 minutes later
Montek LC tablets contains Montelukast and levocetirizine and the montelukast is a good anti-inflammatory agent for patients with asthma (although reserved for bad asthmatics). Levocetirizine is an antihistamine.
Monteleukast is a drug we use for asthma and if your asthma is well controlled with your inhaler, you should consider using only levocetrizine tablets only. This will help us control the itching without exposing you to unwanted drugs. However, we would need to stop levocetrizine after 3-4 months too and see the response.
However, if your asthma is not well controlled and you have itching, you would need to go back to using Montek LC. Please ensure you know all the side effects of montelukast and discuss this with your doctor especially for long term use.
An important part of your allergy management is keeping a symptom diary and trying to identify what you are allergic to. Avoiding the allergen will help you manage the problems better.
In addition, you should also keep your skin well moisturized, use non soap based cleanser and wear natural fabrics (apart from wool) to allow your skin to breathe. Do not use very hot water for bathing and restrict yourself to 10 minute showers.