Started getting irregular periods after taking postinor 2. What is going on?

I have taken Postinor 2 (POSTINOR-2 is an emergency contraceptive, Each tablet contains 750 micrograms of the progestagen, levonorgestrel) on 24th NOv-12 and within a week i have had my period on 30th Nov-12 for the second time. I have already had my first period on 12th NOv-12. So i want to know why i had period for the second time in the same month. can the doctor tell why it happend so early?
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Since you took Postinor-2 on 24th, the irregular bleeding that you had on 30th was the withdrawal bleeding which happens due to the high dose of hormones in the emergency contraceptive pill.
This is a common side effect of such pills. Your routine period can also be delayed by a few days. Do not worry. This is not indicative of pregnancy.
But I would advise you to use a surer way of contraception like oral pills as postinor-2 if taken repeatedly can cause you menstrual irregularities.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.