Started getting headache and change in bleeding pattern after mirena coil fitted. Is this normal?

Hi I had the merina coil fitted 7 weeks ago it was fine to start off with but about 2 weeks in I had a period which lasted 8 days and was heavy then nothing for 2 days then bleeding again and have done since then it's been red blood and the odd day of brown but really heavy a pad every hour at least in the day but not as much through the night,I've got terrible headaches and really so tired all the time I'm just wondering if this is normal ??? Many thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
People react to Mirena in several different ways since its a hormone after all. The bleeding pattern will be variable for a few months as im sure your doctor has told you. This happens due to the hormonal imbalance in your body. Once the hormone levels stabilize then the bleeding will eventually become much less, and eventually may even stop. Headaches may occur sometimes, during this adjustment period. Its not widely reported though and can be managed with medication. You can take paracetamol/acetaminophen for the headache. But if its not manageable by the pain meds then you need further evaluation. The heavy bleeding can also be managed with tranexemic acid/ethamsylate tablets. It takes about 3-4 months for the device to become adjusted to your body.If you still have problems after that see your doctor for examination again.