Started getting acne after taking novelon pills. Is it safe to take OCP with isotretinion?

Sep 2012

I am getting married end of november this year and I have a problem. I started novelon pills for contraception and kept getting a lot of acne. So i stopped it and now my dermatologist has put me on isotretionion alternating 20 mg and 10 mg. Overall my skin is clear, but i have acne during now i have around 2 painful cysts as my periods are due. I had a few questions
1. Does isotretinion help with hormonal acne?
2. My menses are due during the can I start taking a OCP now? What OCP should i take which will not increase my acne? i dont want a flare up on the wedding
3. Is it okay to take OCP with isotretinion?

Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later
Firstly, from your photo and the symptoms you described indicates acne vulgaris occurring due to increased hormonal levels during the periods. The main hormones which are involved in this condition are testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone and others.
This condition mainly occur during puberty and other hormonal disorder.
When a female person presents with this type of symptoms, first we have to exclude any hormonal disbalance like Polycystic ovarian syndrome. In this disease hormonal acne is a common presentation.
So, it would be better to exclude this PCOS before starting the isotretinoin.

Now, I am giving the answers of your questions one by one -
1. Though, isotretinoin can be used as a treatment modality in acne occuring due to any cause. But, one thing should be kept in mind that it is the last option. One more thing is Isotretinoin can not cure this particular hormonal acne effectively in many instances. So, it should be better to avoid.
One important point is it has many side effects of which many are serious for your age.
What you will do?
Consult with your treating doctor for using oral contraceptive agent containing estrogen along with drug containing aldactone. It has shown better response.

2. Oral contraceptive agents containing mainly estrogen ( drospirenone + ethinylestradiol) are indicated in your case. consult with your gynecologist before starting the drug. Take this agent at a particular time of day. you have to take this for 21 days and give a gap of 7 days then start the drug again.

3. The particular this group of drug does not have any interaction with isotretinoin.

Summary - Consult with your dermatologist for changing isotretinoin aldactone and estrogen containing oral contraceptive agents. Also, you have to consult with your gynecologist.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.