Started getting a strange sensations on skin after mosquito bite. Could it be morgellons or allergic reaction?

Jul 2012

I am in the US on holiday in a hotel room. I had musquito bites two days back since then My whole body feels itchy and from yesterday i started getting a strange sensations on my skin. The sensation is it feels like there are "invisible bugs" crawling on my skin. Occurs more at night, while laying down than any other time. The sensation occurs throughout my entire body, no area is exempt from this sensation, and it seems to be completely random, at times I'll feel it on my arm, then my face, then leg, then arm again, etc, no pattern. The sensation "goes away" once I touch the area (either itch it, brush at it as if there WAS a bug I am brushing off, slap it, or touch it in any way...) .
I am applying hydrocortisone on the red spot of musquito bite to prevent itching.

I am scared this could be Morgellons. Can you let me know what other conditions would have similar symptoms. Or could this be a allergic reaction to musquito bite. Will it resolve itself without treatment.
Can you suggest which specialist I should consult and what treatment should I take and what diagnostics test I should ask for if it doesn't resolve in the next two days.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there.
Relax. Let me try to help you out.
If indeed they were mosquito bites, then yes you seem to have a hypersensitivity reaction.
I have a lurking suspicion, it wassome other insect or more likely bed bugs.
Do air your mattresses & /or change your room; try to get all your clothes washed in hot water & dry it in the son/treated.
Use a fexofenadine180mg tablet daytime that acts for 24 hrs, is an antihistamine & safe to ingest for a week once/daily.
It could be scabies too going by your description...simple effective treatment is a scabicidal 5% permethrin single application applied locally to the entire body sparing face..left for 4-6 hrs & washed off!
With this either issue should get sorted out. Continue to apply the hydrocortisone cream & chill...enjoy the rest of your holiday & do give us a shout & a healthy rating when you find all clear!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Started getting a strange sensations on skin after mosquito bite. Could it be morgellons or allergic reaction? 1 hour later
Thanks dr XXXXXXX this really helps. I just saw a doctor here and he also believes that it could be bed bugs. But I noticed only musquito's in the room and not bed bugs.

He has prescribed me with prednisone 10mg for a week. He told me that this is a steroid. Can I take this medication?

He didn't mention anything about scabies. Can I follow your treatment for scabies while taking the medication that he has prescribed. Will I be able to purchase scabicidal 5% permethrin without a prescription from the pharmacies here.

Is it possible to call you if I have any more questions?

Thanks so much for your help.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 13 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Yes , you may try the medication i hv suggested issues. you need quick clearance on a holiday.
Do change your room/motel.
You may mail me but i do believe we have reached a place where you have a definite treatment & goals. Dont will be fine am sure. Enjoy the rest of your holiday! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD