Started gaining weight after taking ipill. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

I used to be really skinny. My weight used to be 46 kgs. My mom used to keep pushing me to gain some weight. I have been sexually active since a year. And due to this I started taking I pills on regularly basis for precautions. I had read on internet that it is the best precaution and I didn’t want to take any risks. But after a while I started putting on weight. My weight has shot up from 46 kgs to 70 kgs in past 8 months. After consulting a doctor I realised how taking I pills on regular basis has led me to hormonal imbalance which is one of the causes of weight gain.
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: your doctor is right Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Your doctor is right. When you use Ipill on regular basis, you develop hormonal imbalance which ultimately leads to weight gain. You could use barrier method or condoms for contraception. That would be ideal with no side effects at all. Let me know your specific queries, if any. I would be happy to help you. Regards,
Follow-up: Started gaining weight after taking ipill. Is it due to hormonal imbalance? 2 minutes later
Hello Doctor! Can you tell me more about barrier method of contraception?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: barrier method detailed Detailed Answer: HelloXXXXX, Barrier method of contraception is also called mechanical method. Male and female condoms are examples of the same. Male condoms are widely used. A male partner can wear a condom on his penis while doing the act of sexual intercourse. This mechanically prevents the sperms from entering into female genital tract. I am not sure if you are aware of this. Again, barrier method is nothing but condom use. Regards,
Follow-up: Started gaining weight after taking ipill. Is it due to hormonal imbalance? 46 hours later
Ok Doctor I understand this, my partner does use a condom but it has been said that condoms are not always or 100% effective in birth control and there is some chance of conception inspite of using a condom during intercourse which is why I also used to take I-pill for even further prevention. Can I still continue with I-pill? In what frequency? Or till what extent it is safe for my health/ hormonal health to use birth control pills? And as I read it somewhere do they lead to some kind of cancer too??
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: do not use Ipill on regular basis Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, Hope you are doing well. What you have read or heard is partly correct. Condoms are not 100% effective if they are not used correctly. Else, they are the best modes of contraception. Because, couples do not use it correctly, or there are chances of condom tear, or it is not worn correctly, the chances of condom use contraception failure is high. I hope you understand this point. Now, coming to your other concerns: - You can continue to use I pill if only you happen to use it once a month and not more than that. If you are going to use it frequently, like more than 3 times in a month, I would suggest you to not use it. - Like I said, use Ipill for not more than twice in a month. - If you take it more than 3 times a month, chances of hormonal imbalance would be high. - Long term use of oral contraceptives of any form i.e for more than 10years increases the risk of breast cancer, cervical cancer, and liver cancers. However, these are multifactorial, and not only due to oral contraceptives. To conclude, if you take Ipill preferably once or twice a month, it is fine. Do not take more than that. Hope this helps you. Regards,