Started gaining weight. Lipid profile test showed raised cholesterol levels. What should I do?

I am 29 yr old male. My height is 182 cm and weight is 92 kgs. waist size is 112 cms.
I have gained inches on my tummy in the last yr or so ever since i moved to bangalore may be because of high starch food like idli dosa. I walk atleast 3-4kms per day. Alcohol intake is about 90-120 ml once in 10 days, eat non veg once in a week.
I recently got my Lipid profile done. the report is attached. I note the good cholesterol levels are low and bad cholesterol levels are high.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 41 minutes later

These changes are generally early changes in raised cholesterol levels stages.So it is always advisable to act effectively at this stage.

Medications to control cholesterol are not indicated at this stage.

At this stage modification in diet and adding some cardiac exercises should suffice in your case.Add more vegetables and fruits to your diet.Avoid heavy meals at one time, try having small meals at intervals.Never skip breakfast.Don't sleep immediately after meals.A afternoon nap is known to reduce cardiac disease.Even a 15 min nap can help.Manage stress well.Drink lots of water.Avoid fatty , spicy and junk food.

Alcohol intake once in 10 days is fine.But it is always better to keep it in acceptable limits.

Try to loose some weight.

You can repeat cholesterol levels after 6 months.

Hope this answers your question.