Started gagging and coughing after meals, stomach pain and losing weight. What this could be?

Hello, My name is XXXXXX and for the last two weeks I have been gagging and coughing after meals. I also have had decreased appetite, stomach pain, and have lost 12 pounds in two weeks unintentionally. I am a 27 year old female. Any idea what this could be? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 1 hour later

I noted from your history that you are taking few medicines that have gastrointestinal side effects like unexplained gastric pain, decreased appetite, nausea, gas, dyspepsia, Gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD), etc. In such cases you may lose weight due to low intake of nutrients, low decrease appetite and stomach pain. Gagging and coughing may be part of GERD too.

Also I believe you aware that your condition (hypothyroidism) can lead to depression and decreasing appetite.

My advice is to have regularly meals preferable at same time (avoid oily and spicy food), include in you ration fresh juices, vegetables and vitamin supplements.
You may also consult your Physician who can prescribe antacids, perform a few tests like endoscopy, hormone levels, etc., and can adjust / change medication if needed.

Hope this helps. If you have additional queries, please don’t hesitate to ask.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Take care and good luck