Started feeling twitching all over body, pounding heart and heart burn. Could it be anxiety?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi there,

I am a 27 year old male, otherwise healthy, 210 pounds, 6-1. Excercise regulalry.

I began to feel random twitching all over my body, when i would be sitting on a plane or sleeping etc. This was in XXXXXXX or July. I went to see my GP and it was worried about ALS but it did go away.

Recently, I have began to have a very heavy pounding heart almost non stop for three weeks. Went back to my GP, who did blood work and a EKG, both came back fine. He suggested it could be anxiety as I do worry a lot and am under a lot of stress at work. I have recently also noticed when i move my left index finger to point up in trembles quite a bit, but if i do the same with my middle finger it doesn't. Is this a sign of ALS? I am worried sick. Sometimes when i take the anxiety pills - one or two a day - the feeling goes away. What do you think this is? The twitching is random all over my body. I should also mention I was getting chest pain for the past few days as well. And for the sake of full disclosure, I have and am again taking a cycle of oral steroids for muscle growth. I know it isn't the smartest but if I have a disease such as ALS, what is the difference at this point.

I should also mention, not sure if it would be related or not, but over the past three years or so i always have a feeling of needing to burp and can repeatdly if nobody is around, to the point it feels like i am getting something out and now i won't even eat spicy foods because i get extreme heartburn. Is this related?

Thank you so much for your replies.
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
The mild tremors in the finger, heart burn, regular burping, chest pain with all cardiac pathologies ruled out- points towards anxiety disorder.
To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.
You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help you in choosing a good antianxiety drug with low day time sedation.
Meanwhile you can start taking electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids like oralyte and vitamin B complex supplements.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Started feeling twitching all over body, pounding heart and heart burn. Could it be anxiety? 10 minutes later
Thank you.
Do you feel that my twitching all over my body would be at all a sign of ALS? For some reason, that is one my major fears.

Also, does anxiety cause your heart to pound very heavy? When I went for my EKG they also took my heart rate and blood pressure, referring to my heart rate as "athletic", so it sounds like everything is fine there.

Is it possible I am developing hypochondriac like symptoms?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The mild twitching that you have is not likely to be due to ALS. Please do not worry and be relaxed.
Anxiety is often associated with palpitation with a normal EKG.
Your symptoms might be related to mild hypochondria. Doing some mind body relaxation exercises will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Started feeling twitching all over body, pounding heart and heart burn. Could it be anxiety? 10 hours later
Thank you. I guess I am just concerned because as I mentioned, when i point my index finger upwards it shakes almost uncontrollably, meanwhile my other fingers on this hand don't. Is this a sign of ALS? It doesn't twitch unless i straighten it out.
I do need to relax but just want to make sure that it is just anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The tremors in only one finger that too evident only on straightening out is not likely to be due to ALS.
Usually the presenting symptoms of ALS are muscle weakness, muscle stiffness and clumsiness involving whole of the hand. Please do not worry.