Started feeling stiffness and soreness in solar plexus area. Is this related to heart problem?

I am a 65 year old woman with no history of this symptom: my solar plexus area started to feel stiff. Now it is sore. Last night it became quite sore and I felt as if I had indigestion (never had it before).
Should I be checked out for heart trouble?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 22 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us
Yes, you should be checked for heart trouble because there are a few cases when the pain from the heart is felt in the solar plexus ( in medical terms, we call it the epigastric area).
Given your age and the fact that you are overweight ( both of which are risk factors for heart disease), we dont want to be missing anything serious. At this stage, we should be looking for an EKG and a cardiac enzyme level to make sure we've covered it all.
If these tests are normal, then its simply heartburn. Lifestyle measures like avoiding caffeine ( found in tea, coffee and coke/pepsi), smoking and spicy food would be required. Also, you should be having small, frequent meals would help.
If these measures dont help, you can take Tablet Prevacid 1 tablet once daily one hour before meals. This should provide considerable relief.
I hope I answered your question. Let me know if you have any more concerns.