Ask a Dentist   »  

Started feeling rough on gum and found small white bits on it. Should I be worried for cancer?

Hi Doctor,
I wonder if you could help me as my gums at rear of mouth feel rogh and when i looked it is receading and behind that on the gum with no tooth its a white bit and i have a few white bits on gums. Can this be cancer it does not heart and i have had gum disease before but antibiotics and hygenist was good . If this could be cancer would it hurt
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 25 minutes later

I would like you to know that as you have a medical history of diabetes , in such cases an individual is very prone to gum infections.

I will recommend you to maintain proper oral hygiene. Brush your teeth twice/day using a soft bristles tooth brush, floss your teeth once/day and use an antibacterial mouth rinse twice/day.

You can also massage your gums for 1 minute, 3-4 times/day using your finger.
For the gums which already receded you will have to see your dentist who can perform a professional cleaning and perform a gum surgery to encourage the gums to heal and get back to their original position.

But I want you to be aware that diabetes is associated with increased bone loss which cause gums to be weak and tooth becomes lose.

The white spots over the gums can be from infection and I will advise you to visit your dentist as I cannot provide you with guidance until I check the spots clinically or if possible kindly attach a picture with your query.

I hope this answer was useful for you.

Kindly post your further queries here.

I wish you good health.
take care.
Follow-up: Started feeling rough on gum and found small white bits on it. Should I be worried for cancer? 7 minutes later
just a thought , could i see you tomorrow as my dentist will be out until after bank holiday.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back,

I am glad to hear that you will be seeing your hygienist soon.

Unfortunately, my clinic is in a different country from where you live therefore I can only provide you with my guidance.

But you can definitely contact me after meeting your hygienist to clear out your doubts.

I wish good health.