Started feeling nauseous after laying on back. What could be causing this?

General Surgeon
am a 59 yr old male in fairly good shape and not taking any prescriptions. approx 2 years ago, i started to get very nauseous when ever i work on my back ( on a creeper working under a car or plumbing under a sink). i feel fine laying or falling asleep on my back, so i think it has something to do with laying on my back with arms raised and working.the nausea lasts about 1 hour
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Nausea after laying on the back can be caused by spine diseases. Such position can cause spinal cord pressure rising due to squeezing and swelling surrounding tissues. It can be associated with back pain, headaches, numbness.
The other explanation for such symptoms can be acid reflux which is rising when laying on the back, however acid feeling in the throat or chest burning should appear.
If dizziness also appears, blurred vision, labyrinth disease can be the reason.
It is advisable for you to have spine and head MRI and laryngologist consultation.
If acid reflux is possible, upper GI endoscopy should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.