Started feeling hot flashes, feverish and itchy nipple after delivery. Noticed areola in breast. Should I be concern?

I had a baby 20 weeks ago and since giving birth I have had hot flashes and feel feverish most nights and a few during the day. For the last few weeks one my breasts (mainly the nipple) has been very itchy and tiny scabby flakes have appeared. Today I noticed the areola on my other breast is discoloured in the form of a lighter ring around the nipple. Is this course for concern?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Juhi 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Breast cancer is extremely unlikely given your complaints and your age group. During breastfeeding, if the complete nipple and most of the upper areola is not in the baby's mouth, nipple gets damaged.

I would like to know if it is painful to breastfeed for you? If it is, along with the feverish feeling, we could possibly be looking at a bacterial infection.

You may have a sore nipple, wherein nipple develops a lighter color than the areola. The tiny flakes can be candidiasis infection and in that case these flakes will also be present in the baby's mouth.

If its painful to breastfeed then you have express out the milk and feed the baby with a spoon, to give rest to the nipple. Use Nipcare ointment on the nipples in between feeds but make sure you wash your nipple before expressing nipple. If its not painful to breastfeed, then continue breastfeeding directly and make sure the complete nipple and upper areola is in baby's mouth.

If you see those flakes in baby's mouth too then you have to take your baby to a pediatrician.

The hot flushes are not a cause for concern, they happen with many women. All you need to do is stay in a cool environment. Whenever you feel feverish, measure your body temperature with a thermometer and note the readings. Let me know the readings after a few days.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I'll be glad to know.
Dr. Juhi
Follow-up: Started feeling hot flashes, feverish and itchy nipple after delivery. Noticed areola in breast. Should I be concern? 3 hours later
I've never breast fed. So is it most likely candidiasis? Should I see my local GP for this?
Answered by Dr. Juhi 7 hours later

If you have never breastfed, then it can be from candidiasis to a bacterial infection.

So it would be best to see your GP. Do not delay it. It is completely curable.

Take care,
Dr. Juhi