Started feeling dizzy and lightheaded after taking amberen. Have IUD with hormones. Any solution?

I am 41 years old and decided to try amberen due to my recent weight gain. I started taking it today and am feeling very dizzy and light headed. I have a tendency to get really high blood pressure and refuse to take medication for it because it makes me too tired. I also have an IUD with hormones and wonder if that could effect the hormones in amberen. Is it safe for me to use?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Amberen is claimed to contain natural ingredients to redue the menopausal symptoms and also the weight gain associated with menopause. However it takes 60 or more days to show its effect. Though the ingredients do not mention hormones in them and you have an IUD with hormones then it is difficult to predict the effect of Amberen on the body.

The best course would be for you to stop Amberen for a day or two and then restart and see the effect. In case you still feel dizzy and light headed then it is advisable to stop it.

You mentioned that you have hypertension and refuse to take the medicines for it as they make you tired. Hypertension has its own problems and one should keep it under control. I shall advise you to discuss with your doctor and change to other anti-hypertensive medications which suit you.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal