Started feeling dizzy. Have high blood pressure. Any ideas?

I am 70 years old, very energetic, very very active. I have felt dizzy afew times in the past and had to lie down. I could not stand. My blood pressure has always been 100/60 tops 120/80. For the past few weeks my blood pressure has been up to 158/99 lowest 125/79. My best guess is XXXXXXX strokes, but the only symtom is dizziness.

Any other ideas?
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Dizziness in old age is a tricky situation and there can be several causes for this.
Most common causes include
Poor vision
Consumption of many different medications
Cervical spondylosis 
Postural hypotension 
Positional vertigo like Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

If you are having any ear problems like tinnitus along with dizziness,then meniere's disease can be the cause.
If dizziness occurs because of shaking of head then,cervical spondylolysis can be the cause.
If you get dizzy on immediately getting up then,postural hypertension can be the cause.
Consumption of different medications can also cause this

Stroke can be the possibility if you feel numb or mentally confused after the spell of dizziness.

You require a thorough consultation and examination by your doctor for finding the exact cause for your dizziness.
Your blood pressure is definitely high and requires medication to control it.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck

Follow-up: Started feeling dizzy. Have high blood pressure. Any ideas? 11 hours later
You are a genius. You have given me the cause of my dizziness and pain in my shoulder and neck - Cervical spondylosis. I have been asking doctors what could be wrong and no one has even mentioned it. In 1991, I fell from standing on the kitchen counter and took the entire blow on the right side of my head. I had a headache for a year until I started physical therapy for my neck. Spinal injuries tend to get you in old age. I am so thrilled you have found the answer. I was getting very nervous with the increase of dizziness. Thank you. Diagnosis it an art. So few have it.

PS. I taught Anatomy and Physiology for 19 years for AP students in high school.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
You are most welcome to ask any query,any time.