Started feeling chills, headache, fever, cold sweats and throat pain. Had protected oral sex. Any thoughts?

I went to the doctor on monday pretty sure i had strep throat. I had all the symptoms. Chills, Headache, fever, cold sweats, throat pain for four days. The doctor barely examined me. Shined a light in my throat and said i had classic strep. That was it, and sent me on my way with a 10 day prescription for amoxicillin. The swelling has gone down some and my tonsils are less red. However the back of my throat is covered in cancker sores. i can count at least 12. My ear has now started to hurt, and the actual pain is still unbareable. I cannot eat or drink anything without wanting to cry. And most of the pain is underneath the tongue by the salivary glands, im drooling every night, and at the base of the throat, even when i yawn. Please help. Could i have something more than just strep throat?
I did have unprotected oral sex with several partners several days before this occured? Could this be a disease?
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
To simply answer your question, yes it could be something more than strep throat. Its unlikely to be related to the unprotected sexual intercourse that you're having. It could be epiglottitis, diphtheria or its possible that the throat infection is due to a different organism. We could be looking at a peri-tonsillar abscess as well.
As of now, if you're having a problem breathing or trouble speaking, then I think you should visit the ER. Humidified oxygen would then be required. If not, please speak with your physician. We need to give you a stronger antibiotic like amoxicillin-clavulanate ( or select one depending on the results of the throat scrapings).
Till then, steam inhalation; lozenges and plenty of warm fluids is what you need.
Let me know if I can be of further help.