Started feeling a hot sensation after waking up. Getting variable blood pressure readings. What should I do?

I woke and started feeling a hot sensation. I checked my blood pressure. It was 139 0ver 85 pulse 77. Over the next hour it has gone to 163 over 103 pulse 82, 160 over 89 pulse 79, 143 over 86 pulse 67, 137 over 82 pulse 63, 140 ovwe 83 pulse 67, 151 over 87 pulse 64. Each time it goes up I feel panicy, hot sensations over my body. No trouble breathing, no chest pain. Now an hour and a half later it is128 over80 pulse 65. What do I need to do?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Let me try and explain to you what exactly is happening. The blood pressure and your mental state are directly related to one another. The more anxious you feel, the higher your blood pressure goes. This may be accompanied by a sensation of warmth, headache or even some kind of dizziness in some people. Conversely, when your blood pressure goes up, you tend to feel anxious.
Starting with what was happening to you, I dont think a blood pressure of 130/85 would cause significant symptoms. In fact, in medical terminology , it would not even qualify as high blood pressure. But as you mentioned, when it increased, it made you feel anxious.
At this point, I dont think you need to do anything about the blood pressure. Some relaxation and XXXXXXX breathing would help a lot. Exercise also helps bring down anxiety levels. This will help stabilize your blood pressure levels.
As far as the hot sensation goes, it can be due to anxiety or even a part of menopausal symptoms. Drinking a lot of fluids and staying active will help. Also, soy products can be useful.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you need any more help.