Started estrogen patch. Developed ear ache, acute sinusitis and red dots on palate. Any thoughts?

Dec 2012

Hi I started HRT Estrogen patch two weeks, one week ago develop a ear ache and by morning acute sinuitis, 7 days on I still have sinus, slight chest cough and from yesterday a tender hard palet in roof of mouth which now has four small red dots on it..tender and slight tenderness in my right lymph of throat? any thoughts?

Hx: Hystoectomy 2 years ago
Smoker ( 5 - 7 per day)
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

From your description you are obviously suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) which most probably spread from the sinus infection and now descended most likely to your bronchial tree. The infection might be of viral origin, hence symptoms will subside within a few days even without treatment. How ever if you feel that your symptoms are causing you great worry, I suggest you take an antihistamine or steroid spray for the sinusitis and then mucolytic for the cough.
The four small red dots signify also the presence of a buccal cavity infection which is still in relation to the URTI.
You will probably need an appropriate course of antibiotics such as amoxicillin or erythromycin to control/treat the bacterial infection. Antibiotics should be prescribed by a doctor after physically examining you to be sure of your affection. Some laboratory tests such as blood tests and throat swap might be required to identify the causative microbe.

Hope this is useful and please feel free to write back for more questions or accept my answer if you are satisfied.
Dr. Nsah