Started drinking protein shakes. Should I take zinc supplement?

hi how are you? i've been craving for zinc and protein during the past 2 or 3 days. I've started drinking protein shakes. i'm thinking of taking zinc supplements, should I? about 2 months ago I asked my family doctor to check my blood for zinc but he didn't cause he hasn't heard of zinc deficiency in Canada but at that time I wasn't craving for it either but now I am. should I get tested for zinc deficiency? thanks bye
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 4 days later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Whatever your family doctor told to you was exactly correct. Because Zinc deficiency is seen in developing countries, that too more commonly in children. The most common clinical condition where deficiency commonly encountered is Diarrhea.

The other conditions where we can see the deficiency is Malabsorption syndromes, Intestinal resection, Bariatric surgery and chronic illness patients.

As you are already on Multivitamin supplements (which contains Zinc also), I suggest you to re-think about consultation to a physician and discuss about your concern.

If you face any doubts about this answer, please come with a follow up question.