Started drinking lots of water and having frequent urination. Any effect on kidney?

Hello, I started drinking too much of water as I read several articles on this. bur after drinking too much of water I have to go to the toilet almost every hour. can this affect on Kidney. Is it really good to drink plantey of water? How much of water we should drink in a day. is drinking 4 glass of water immedeately after we wakeup can help us ?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 29 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
Humans need at least 750 ml of urine to remove the waste products.
The insensible loss ( loss that occurs without our control - from breathing and sweating) is about 900 ml per day and through bowels (motion) is about 300 ml daily.
So, we lose at-least 1950 ml in all these together and hence fluid intake needs to be at-least equal, which is the minimum requirement. Food generates approximately 300 ml of water.
So the intake should be at-least 1650 ml a day. Beverages like coffee and tea generate about one liter daily.
So one needs at-least 650 ml of water as a minimum requirement. This is enough only for survival.
For good general health without getting dehydrated and to keep bowels smooth / prevent stone formation/ skin glow etc, humans need about 2.5-3 liters of fluid intake in winter and 3- 3.5 liters in summer.
So when you minus the water from food and beverages, we need at least 1.5 to 2 liters as water alone.
It is easy to remember as 2 glasses of 200 ml each water intake with every meal and in between meals. This itself will be about two liters.
This is good enough. If you drink more, you need to go to the toilet often as it is a good sign of kidney function.
Kidneys can handle any amount of water provided they are functioning well.
Drinking water early in the morning should benefit the kidneys because of overnight dehydration.
Hope this helps.
Best regards

Follow-up: Started drinking lots of water and having frequent urination. Any effect on kidney? 13 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your reply

I have this question in my mind when I read the eblow article from Time of India

I request you to go through the below link

They clearly says that "Due to excessive water consumption, people have died of over-hydration, which goes by the name of Exercise-Associated Hyponatraemia (EAH). In simple terms, it means that you have drank too much water and the excess has diluted your body fluids so much that the sodium levels have become life-threateningly low, causing cells to swell. That includes brain cells leading to loss of consciousness, seizures and even coma and death."

Please go through the link given above. I just would like to know how true is the information given in this link.

Thanks ....
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome back.
Your query is valid.
Around 1600 cases reported world wide, means it is a rare situation and can occur in situations when the kidneys are not working well.
How do we know the kidney status in those who died? They could have had pre-existing kidney failure!
In western countries, where nearly every meal is accompanied by a large coke and marathon runners often tend to consume more water than just sip, this is just a warning.
Moreover, cola drinks contain other toxic and addicting substances that when consumed on a regular basis adds to the water content of the body and when urination is restricted as in long distance runners, may prove fatal, occasionally.
The message is that EVEN WATER, which is the essence of life, CAN BE TOXIC IF TAKEN IN VERY LARGE AMOUNTS.

So when you urinate more often than usual, restrict your water intake and see if that helps. If not, it is a disease and you need to consult a doctor.
Hope you get the message.