Started diarrhea and pain in ribs while coughing. Could it be food poisoning?

Threw up early Friday morning around 1am about 4 times. Not sure if its food poisoning (ate some calamari) or if its a bug. Had a little bit of diarrhea as well but didn't last very long. I felt like I could barely move throughout the day on Friday and stayed in bed most of the day. Today, Saturday, my ribs are hurting on both sides when I cough and earlier today there was pain in the lower left side...maybe stomach? Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.
Do not panic.

These look like symptoms of acute gastritis. The reason could be food poisoning or a bug as you have rightly presumed.

You should be concerned if you start vomiting profusely OR have severe abdominal pain OR start passing blood with stool.

Kindly take rest. Take plenty of ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution).

Take omeprazole as an antacid medication.

Take antacid preparations after food for the next few days.

Restrict your diet to an easily digestible diet.

If the symptoms increase then consult a physician.

If you have any further queries, you are free to consult me. Hope this answers your query. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Have a nice day.