Started developing stabbing abdominal pain. Had bypass of LAD. Cause?

General Surgeon
Yesterday evening I started developing a stabbing pain (6 on a 10 scale) in my left upper abdomen (about 2 inches under my ribcage). Preliminary info... I had a bypass of my LAD on November 11, 2011. I have been in excellent health since.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 42 minutes later
Hi ! I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

With a history of a bypass surgery for LAD in 2011, I will suggest you to first get yourself reviewed by your cardiologist to exclude any recurring blockage of your coronary artery. After a thorough clinical examination with your blood pressure monitoring, he may advise you other tests like an ECG, cardiac enzyme estimations, blood glucose, serum lipid profile, a stress echo cardiogram under control, and if indicated a CTangiography as a baseline investigation and manage you according to the reports. If you develop breating difficulty or palpitations along with the pain, there is no harm in keeping a sorbitrate under your tongue till you get proper medical help.

Once the cardiac condition is excluded, the other common cause for such pain could be due to hyper acidity and esophageal spasm, which may occur without any pre-disposing factors. I am not aware about your dietary habits. If you are eating from outside and spicy food, then this could be the reason. A proton pump inhibitor, and a prokinetic agent along with dietary restrictions may relieve you of your symptoms.

Do you consume any alcoholic beverages and if so how often ? In this case your doctor may go for a liver function test, along with serum amylase and serum lipase to exclude any pancreatic disorder.

Till you get your tests done after seeing the respective specialists, I would suggest you to go for light diet without any oil and spices. Once the reports are ready, then your treating doctor can deal with the situation better.

I hope you have got the point of getting of yourself examined by the cardiologist at the earliest possible just to exclude any cardiac cause for the pain.

If you have got any further question, please feel free to ask. Awaiting your reply, wishing you an early recovery. Thnaks.
Follow-up: Started developing stabbing abdominal pain. Had bypass of LAD. Cause? 14 hours later
I gave up alcohol completely in 1988. The pain has now moved from below my rib on the left side upwards to sharper pains extending from about 1 inch left of my nipple to a point almost in my armpit. These are stabbing pains at an 8 on a 10 scale. In other words the pain includes the whole left side of my left breast. The pain in my upper left abdomen is still their, but it is being "masked" by the higher up pain. If I press lightly in the earlier abdomen pain area, I can feel dull pain.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 3 hours later

It is good to learn that you gave up alcohol in 1988. This shows your mental determination which is found in a few.

I still feel that you should show to your cardiologist at the earliest possible time. Since the pain is higher on pain scale, it's important that we make sure heart causes are ruled out. So take care and take appointment with your cardiologist or report at the emergency room of any nearby hospital on a priority.

Let me know if you need clarification.

Wish you an early recovery.