Started cycle. Having abdominal pain. Noticed bleeding. What can be done?

Excellent

Question
I am 31yrs old and mother and in monogamous relationship and i have just recently started my cycle but the pain is nothing like I ever felt. I cannot move it hurts in my abdominal and in my back. Also the bleeding is heavy to the point I am changing my pad out ever 1 to 2 hours and I have to keep taking bathes. Is there anything at home that I can do?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to rule out miscarriage and ectopic

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

If you are currently sexually active and your periods are not normally associated with this level of discomfort and bleeding then you need to consider visiting your doctor or the ER as soon as possible.

This would be necessary to rule out miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy both of which would cause significant abdominal and back pain as well as intense vaginal bleeding.
The doctor would want to determine which of these is the case by ultrasound and may also want to check your blood count since the bleeding is so severe.

If you normally have heavy and painful periods then there is medication that you use to help relieve the pain.
The best medications for period pain are in the NSAID family. This would include medications such as naproxen, cataflam, ibuprofen.
This is because they block the prostagladins which cause the pain.

There are different causes for persistent heavy and painful periods such as fibroids, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Started cycle. Having abdominal pain. Noticed bleeding. What can be done? 6 minutes later
What is ectopic pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
where pregnancy occurs outside the womb

Detailed Answer:
Hi

An ectopic pregnancy is diagnosed when the fetus develops outside of the normal area in the womb. One of the most common are for an ectopic is in the fallopian tubes.

An ectopic results in significant abdominal pain and bleeding. It is usually treated surgically

Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

Follow-up: Started cycle. Having abdominal pain. Noticed bleeding. What can be done? 2 minutes later
Does the fetus live?

Brief Answer:
Does not usually survive unfortunately

Detailed Answer:
HI

Unfortunately if the pregnancy is ectopic the fetus does not survive in the vast majority of cases.
But you do not know this is the reason for your bleeding and pain, it would be best to be seen as soon as possible.

You can feel free to ask any thing else

I am confused because I had a normal period last month.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if not active since then pregnancy not likely

Detailed Answer:
HI

If you were not sexually active since your last period or the period occurred very late last month then it is unlikely that the bleeding is related to any complication of pregnancy.
If you were active since this last period then it is possible that the bleeding is due to pregnancy complications such as the miscarriage or ectopic mentioned.

If pregnancy is unlikely and it is likely just a extremely bad cycle then the medication mentioned above can be used to help relieve the pain.

you can ask any other questions that you may have