Started coughing blood after intercourse. Have swollen gland on neck. Caused due to pressure in chest?

General Surgeon
I started coughing up blood after having intercourse with my boyfriend. I am assuming it may have been because I felt like he was crushing me and I couldn't breath very well. I had also had a swollen gland in the right side of my neck and an earache so I am wondering where this blood might have come from. I was not coughing before this incident. I continued to cough up small amounts of bright red blood for a couple of hours. I love to jog and ride my bicycle but have been afraid to do so since this happened out of fear that it might reoccur if I over exert myself. Could this bleeding have been caused by too much pressure on my chest from his weight?
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Chest trauma needs to be really strong to cause bleeding from the lungs (it can happen due to car crash for example). So your boyfriend could not cause bleeding from your lungs.

The source of the blood in your cough can be throat or trachea as well. As you have also swollen lymph nodes and earache, you may suffer from throat, ear or tooth infection. Lungs issue is also possible, especially if you do smoke. Sometimes lungs cancer (strongly associated with smoking) and tuberculosis gives coughing with blood. Extremely rare reason of blood in the lungs is endometriosis.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have physical examination. The doctor should take a look at your throat, tooth and ears. In case of any doubts, laryngologist consult is necessary.

If you do smoke, or there will be any signs of lungs issues (during physical examination), chest X-ray (or better chest CT) should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Started coughing blood after intercourse. Have swollen gland on neck. Caused due to pressure in chest? 6 minutes later
Do you think it is ok to continue with my regular physical activities such as jogging and bike riding then? I haven't coughed any blood up since Friday evening however, I haven't really coughed since then either.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
If you are fine, and no symptoms like ear pain, fever, chest pain, weakness, you may assume that this was just an episode which does not indicate anything serious. In such case, just continue with your regular activities.
However if you smoke, chest X-ray should be done even if all symptoms are gone.