Started clomid after abortion. Having pain in ovary. How to find the ovulation day?

I had a miscarriage in XXXXXXX 2012. Started Clomid this month CD 2-6. Have been using clear blue fertility monitor on cd 8 showed low then went straight to peak CD 9 & 10 pains in ovaries around these days High CD 11 then back to low and finished testing cd 16. My Normal cycle with out Clomid has been 31 days therefore meaning without Clomid i would ovulate yesterday. I have had pains again in right ovary the last two days and this morning had clear stretchy cervical mucus which i would normally take it that i would be ovulating. On Clomid Calculators it stated that if i take clomid 10/07/2012 -14/07/2012 my fertile days would be 19/07/2012-24/07/2012 so the CBFM could have been right saying i ovulated 19/07/2012 but why am i have signs of ovulation now? Was i get a false read from CBFM? If so is today not too late to ovulate if clomid calculator says 24/07/2012? Very confused!!!
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
It seems likely the clear blue fertility monitor had a false positive reading and you’re actually ovulating right now. The only way to definitely know is to do a LH level or to do a serial ultrasound scan ( also called follicle monitoring)
Generally, with Clomid, ovulation would take place 5-7 days after the course of the tablets is completed. So having a peak fertility level on CD 9 and 10 was probably too premature and could possibly represent a false positive as ovulation would generally take place between day 11-14 of the cycle ( a broader range would be day 10-19)
Since Clomid induces ovulation in 70-80% of the women who take it, its possible that this time round its your natural cycle and not the Clomid which is working.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.
Let me know if you have any more questions
Follow-up: Started clomid after abortion. Having pain in ovary. How to find the ovulation day? 51 minutes later
Well going by 5-7 days post clomid course this would mean the 19th. Am i not right in saying peak on fertility monitor is detection of LH Surge and ovulation can happen 12-36 hours later?

Day 1 cycle 9/07/12
Clomid 10/7/12 - 14/07/12
LH surge detected 17/07/12 & 18/07/12

Does this not mean i could have ovulated on 19/07/12 which would have been 5 days post clomid course?

If i am ovulating now it is 12 days past clomid course which is too far?

I know i ovulate and can get pregnant as have a 3 year old and was pregnant end of 2011.

Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
It is very much possible that you had been ovulated on 19/7/2012 , but by that logic you should be in the secretory phase of the cycle right now ( where the progesterone peaks) and the cervical mucus is not stretchy and clear but thick and tenacious in this stage. Also, we would not be able to explain the abdominal pain. So thats why I said, you're probably ovulating as you would in the normal course of things ( without ovuation)
The best way forward here would be stop second guessing the ovulation date. I assume you're looking to have a baby and having unprotected sexual intercourse every day for the next 3-5 days would be the most logical next step here.
Let me know if this helps