Ask a Urologist   »  

Started cipro 500mg for prostatitis. Experiencing severe gas and constipated. What to do?

I started a ten day course of Cipro (500mg twice a day) on Friday for UTI symptoms (urgency, frequency, spasms, burning) possibly prostatitis. It seems to be working, but I am experiencing severe gas and have become constipated. What to do to remedy the situation?
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As constipation doesn't have any relation with cipro, it seems to be a coincidence only. But cipro can destroy normal intestinal flora and can cause flatulence.

Formation of gas can occur due to constipation and poor digestion.

You can take (i) Tab.Unienzyme twice daily just after lunch and dinner,
(ii) Cap.Vizylac one daily and
(iii) Psyllium husk 2 tsf with water at bed time for 5 days.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,
Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma