Started bleeding heavily, feeling nauseous and dizzy. Is this a sign of menopause?

I have a history of endometriosis but since the birth of my eldest 9 yrs ago I have had regular periods but today without warning I started bleeding heavily only two weeks since my regular cycle I've also felt general malaise all day nausea and dizzy feeling my husband I practice the rythym method (not 100% I know) but it has worked for us I'm 33 and wondering if I could be going into early menopause??
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 27 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Menopause itself is defined as no period for 12 months. Women start experiencing signs of this transition that manifest as cycle irregularity beginning in their mid to late 30's. Given your young age of 33 and this being a somewhat isolated episode, I would not think of menopausal transition first. This is either related to:

1. Pregnancy
2. Irregular or absent ovulation with resultant breakthrough bleeding
3. Some anatomic change in the uterus, such as polyps or a fibroids

You need to contact your OB/GYN and schedule an exam and ultrasound. This is likely not going to be a recurrent problem quite yet. I hope this helps!!