Started bleeding heavily after sex. What could be causing this?

Mar 2013
I have had medium post sex bleeding that started probably about 1 hr after sex. It's been bright red and heavy enough for me to wear a tampon and soak through half a regular in 2 hrs. I have been bleeding for about 5 days and it finally lightening up a bit. I have an appt on Tuesday with my doctor I just want to know what it sounds like. Before the bleeding started I was having a lot of sex for about 4 days straight.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Thank you for your query.
The strongest possibility that comes to mind is a post coital injury, particularly if you had rough, violent sex.
It could be a vaginal laceration or tear that has healed itself and so bleeding decreased.
Other reasons are cervical polyps, cervical growths or erosions that bleed on intercourse.
Endometrial polyps also present in this way.
If you were pre menstrual, vigorous sexual activity and resultant uterine cramps could have resulted in an earlier period than usual.
Hormonal medications or pills could have altered your normal date of period.
It would help to know your dates of menstrual cycles, whether such an event has occurred prior after having sex, or whether you are on any medications.
Consulting your Gynecologist, detailed clinical examination and appropriate testing only will establish a specific diagnosis.

Please take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.